The Geschwister-Scholl-Gesamtschule is an "Integrierte Gesamtschule" that welcomes all students and supports diversity. At our school, students can obtain all types of recognized school leaving certificates (view glossar).
Our "Willkommensklasse" is a special class for learning the German language (Sprachlernklasse). The class is open for students that can’t speak the German language and has the intention to support them on their way into the German school system. Students participate in the “Willkommensklasse” until they reach level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (i.e. in most cases for one year, sometimes longer). In addition to the language lessons, students in our class also get an introduction to the sciences and social studies and later also to the German political system. Intercultural aspects and German cultural studies are always part of the lessons.
The first weeks in our class are seen as an orientation phase, during which the students are able to settle in and to get used to the school and its school system. After that they are assigned to a regular class (“Stammklasse”) according to their age and achievements. From then on, they participate in the regular lessons with their “Stammklasse” in addition to their language courses (view Basic Structure). These lessons are mainly those that don’t require a high proficiency level in German like Music, Arts, Physical Education and English.
If you want to apply to join GSG, please contact Sekretariat Frau Albrecht.
· Allgemeine Hochschulreife: General higher education entrance qualification. Entitles holder to admission to all subjects at all higher education institutions and is usually obtained at upper -->Gymnasium level (--> gymnasiale Oberstufe) by passing the Abitur examination.
· Gymnasiale Oberstufe: The upper level of the --> Gymnasium, which can however be established at other types of school. It comprises grades 11-13 or 10-12; depending on the Land at the type of school. Course of general education concluded by the Abitur examination, which leads to the general higher education entrance qualification (--> Allgemeine Hochschulreife).
· Gymnasium: Type of school covering both lower and upper secondary level (grades 5-13 or 5-12) and providing an in-depth general education aimed at the general higher education entrance qualification.
· Hauptschule: Type of school at lower secondary level providing a basic general education. Compulsory school, unless pupil is attending a different type of secondary school, usually comprising grades 5-9.
· Mittlerer Schulabschluss: General education school leaving certificate obtained on completion of grade 10 at --> Realschulen or, under certain circumstances, at other lower secondary level school types. It can also be obtained at a later stage during vocational training at upper secondary level. In some Länder called Realschulabschluss.
· Realschule: Type of school at lower secondary level, usually comprising grades 5-10. Provides pupils with a more extensive general education and the opportunity to go on to courses of education at upper secondary level that lead to vocational or higher education entrance qualifications.
· Integrierte Gesamtschule: Schools with several courses of education. This type of school bring the courses of education of --> Förderschule, --> Hauptschule, --> Realschule --> and Gymnasium under one educational and organizational umbrella.
· Förderschule: Special school - school establishment for pupils whose development cannot be adequately assisted at mainstream schools on account of disability. Also known as Sonderschule, Förderzentrum or Schule für Behinderte.